SHARON’S PUMPKIN SOUP
- 50g butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 – 4 garlic cloves chopped depending upon personal taste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper
- 1kg pumpkin (can be a mix of pumpkin, potato & sweet potato) – I usually use a mix of Butternut and Kent or Queensland Blue pumpkin, some sweet potatoe and 1 or 2 potatoes – the potatoes tend to make the soup creamier
- Peel pumpkin (and potato if used).
- Melt butter in large pot and sauté onion and garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until all vegetables are cooked through.
- Allow to cool.
- Blend in batches in a food processor until mixture is pureed and no lumps remain.
- If the soup is too thick add a little water or stock.
- Reheat in microwave and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of pepper.
This has been a family favourite and the kids still ask for it today when we catch up for family gatherings. Even though I gave them all a copy of the recipe when they moved out, they still prefer Mum’s Pumpkin Soup. I guess that’s because it’s made with love.